Rich baked eggplant with cheese and tomato is yet another really easy eggplant recipe, just like the one I posted a while ago and you can check out in the link below. It’s really easy to cook eggplant. Give it a try!
If you want to find out more about Romanian food and traditions check my baby, my all time favorite post on Cooking Romania by Vivi:
How can you cook or bake eggplant?
First, you should know that eggplant is a keto/low carb food. So cooking eggplant with oil, butter, cheese, tomato, etc is keto friendly and delicious at the same time. Here is a list of easy eggplant dishes I recommend:
Garlic Parmesan baked eggplant
Oven roasted eggplant
Garlic and herb grilled eggplant
Pan fried eggplant
Today I am going to show you how to make an easy and rich baked eggplant with cheese and tomato recipe. It takes literally no effort to prepare (just a bit of slicing and brushing olive oil)! The taste is rich and the flavor is so great! Try this mouthwatering dish and let me know how it worked out. Please send me photos and videos and I will share them with credit. Please, tag Cooking Romania by Vivi on INSTAGRAM or FACEBOOK :).
Before we move on to the actual recipe, one piece of advice:
For nicely caramelized edges (you do not remove the eggplant skin), cut the slices a bit thinner (no thinner than 10 cm). The baking time is less for thin slices. Mind you, you risk burning them if you slice them too thin, so 1 – 1.5 cm slices is what you are aiming for.
Rich baked eggplant with cheese and tomatoCourse: Appetizers, SidesCuisine: GlobalDifficulty: Easy
Do not remove the eggplant skin. Slice the eggplant in 1-1.5 cm thick slices. Add breadcrumbs and Marinara sauce as mentioned in NOTES if you want to diversify.
2 small eggplants
1 cup Parmesan/yellow/pressed cheese, cubed
12-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
5 tbsp olive oil for cooking
salt, pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 180-200 C
- Slice the eggplant in 1-1.5 cm thick slices
- Grease a baking/pizza pan with 3 tbsp olive oil
- Line the slices in the pan in a single layer (you can use a baking sheet)
- Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil on the slices
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven. Flip slices over, add garlic powder, and bake another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with cheese and halved tomatoes
- Bake again for 5-10 minutes until golden brown
- I don’t use breadcrumbs for this recipe. If you decide to add breadcrumbs, mix them with the cheese and add some olive oil before you top the eggplant slices in step 9.
- You can also add Marinara sauce in the pan before step 4. I like my recipes really simple, so I prefer to use fewer ingredients, preferably low carb, for best taste.
Final notes on baked eggplant with cheese and tomato recipe
- You can drizzle lemon juice on the slices before serving
2. This is an appetizer or side dish and it goes with keto friendly meats and fish
3. It is really easy to cook eggplant as long as you keep an eye on the oven and you don’t burn it :).
Before you go, check out other posts in the LOW CARB AND KETO category on Cooking Romania by Vivi. All recipes are easy, fast, just a few ingredients and they are to die for!
See for yourself:
Do you have any easy recipe suggestions? Send me a message!